Shopify is one of the easiest and simplest ways to get your online store up and running. It provides all the tools required to run an online store, from creating an ecommerce site to analyzing your shop’s analytics, it has it all. So who are Shopify competitors anyway?
Since its founding in 2006, Shopify has and continues to run more than one million businesses. And it’s no wonder that it is highly recommended when you consider building an online store.
But despite all the merits, you may still want to consider other tools and options out there to help fuel the growth of your online business.
So in this guide we will look at some of Shopify’s competitors – stating what they are, what they do, how much they cost, their features and support, and who they are best suited for.
But before we do, let’s begin at looking at Shopify’s features – you may need to know about.
The best online store builder, period!
Shopify provides over 100 templates to help you build your website quickly and makes it look beautiful and functional at the same time. In addition to that Shopify Payments lend you the ability to process payments quickly and securely. And if that is not enough you have over 100 payment gateways to integrate with including PayPal, Stripe and Bitcoin.
You also get such extras as SSL security which secures your website and encourages your users to have confidence when giving their payment details on your store. With Shopify being a cloud-app, you get web hosting by default, you can also include a custom domain so that your business is easy to identify online.
What are Shopify’s Features?
- Access to HTML and CSS files to help customize your website further
- SSL security to help secure your website online
- SEO optimized web pages so that you are easily found on search engines like google
- A shopping cart, so you can process sales online
- Shopify Pay allows you to receive payments in a reliable manner
- Sell Unlimited number of products, unlike Etsy, there are no placement fees.
- More than 100 templates to help you in designing the look and feel of your website.
- Mobile Optimized pages and shopping cart, allowing you to sell to customers on multiple devices which is great value for money.
- Inventory management so you never run out of products, or selling products that are out of stock so that you avoid charge-backs that hurt your reputation.
- Not only that, but the POS system allows you to take payments on-location or garage sales.
- Shopify App Store allows you to get additional apps so that you can power up your store – apps like Banner allow you to add a banner on top of your store front.
- 24/7 support via email, phone and chat.
Price: Shopify plans begin at $29/month, with a free 14 day trial.
Shopify competitors to help run your online store
So, if Shopify does not float your boat, there are other ecommerce store builders at your disposal. Most of these builders will have everything you need to run your website, but others need 3rd party integrations to help power up your store.
Let’s go through each of them, and in no particular order.
Best store builder for retailers
3dcart provides a very simple feature in its shopping cart that will allow most businesses to sell their products online. It also has an attractive price point compiled with great sales reporting that makes it an easy alternative to Shopify.
Although it lacks features that you will find in Shopify, its mobile optimized theme makes it easy to build a mobile friendly ecommerce website.
You can get online pretty quickly although you’ll be limited to the number of templates you can use – which is not necessarily a bad thing, as paralysis analysis is a problem most business owners face when faced with the overwhelming amount of options available to them to build an online store.
What features does 3dCart offer?
- Integrate your favorite tools with Zapier enabling you to expand your store’s functionality.
- Processing payments is made simple with over 160 payment options
- You get free templates to help you start your website design more quickly and easily.
- Cart Recovery via notifications so that you never lose out on sales opportunities
- SEO tools are in-built so that your website is easily discovered in the search engines.
Price: Plans will begin at $19/month with a free 15-day trial.
Best store builder for Big Businesses
BigCommerce provides the tools and capabilities that Big Businesses need to build a store front whilst incorporating all the complexities that are involved in a big business.
With advanced features like international selling, you have access to markets all over the world.
You also get website hosting by default, although you do have to buy a domain name with a domain hosting provider, then connect it to your store.
Other features include SEO tools and apps to help even the most complex websites rank higher on search engines.
To learn more about BigCommerce, read our review here.
BigCommerce features include:
- Payment Processing Wallets for the likes of Apple Pay, Amazon Pay so that you can receive payments from different users.
- Multi-currency support allows you to receive payment from different locations on the planet.
- A WYSIWYG website editor helps you build your website quicker with drag-n-drop.
- Access to HTML and CSS files to customize your website even further.
- SEO tools to help your store rank higher on search engines
- Support is available via phone and email.
Price: Plans set you back $29.95/month with a 15-day free trial.
Best store builder for newbies.
The next on the list of our shopify competitors is Wix. It began as a website builder, but as the ecommerce trend continued to push ahead, Wix introduced Wix ecommerce to help business owners build a full ecommerce solution for their business.
With features like sales analysis, cart abandonment campaigns, and the ability to sell on multiple channels, Wix is not far behind the best in the industry.
You get to use the easy to use drag and drop Wix builder that lets even complete newbies build websites. It also provides other helpful tools you’ll need to build an online store.
Although it lacks the power you’ll get with Shopify, it is a great Shopify alternative for those beginning out in the ecommerce space.
You can also build your entire store for free without ever paying a penny, and pay only when you’re ready to go live, giving you all the time you’ll require to build a website that you are comfortable with.
Wix features you may like are:
- Easy to use drag-n-drop website builder so that building a website is pure joy
- Free Plan to allow you to build out your full site without ever paying a penny, only pay when you go live.
- Templates designed to increase your store look and feel
- Social selling with the likes of Facebook Meta, helping you increase your reach.
- SEO tools to help you rank fast on search engines.
- SSL protection gives customers confidence while transacting on your site.
Price: The ecommerce plan begins at $23/month.
Best store builder for local businesses
Weebly was created by Square to help power small local businesses move online. It also comes with an easy to use online builder that lets you get going easily.
You can also integrate Square POS to collect payments in-store.
You can also build coupons to promote your business via the Coupon Builder.
- Website builder lets you build a store easily
- Square POS integration
- Support via email
- Coupon Builder lets you run marketing campaigns easily and quickly
Price: Plans begin at 46/month. There is a Free Plan as well – with ads included.
Best ecommerce store builder for creatives
Squarespace, not to be confused with Square, started off as a website content management system. As part of the philosophy to make website building simple with a drag-n-drop builder, Squarespace has added those features to building an online store. This makes it great for business owners who want to build their business, and not their website.
With payment processing from Stripe, PayPal, After Pay and Apple Pay, you will not lose sales due to different options your users may prefer to use for paying online.
Squarespace also comes fully loaded with beautiful templates to get your store online fast, making it stand out among shopify competitors
It also comes with a subscriptions model and gift cards, that you can incorporate to your business to grow recurring income.
Squarespace has the following features as well:
- Recurring Subscription at the higher plans to help you build a recurring income
- Easy to use Drag-n-Drop builder so that building your website is full of joy
- Sell unlimited products with no listing fees
- Integrate payment processing with all top tier payment processing platforms
- Post purchase emails so that your customers always know about their purchase details.
Price: Plan begin at $26/month. A 14 day free trial is also available.
Best open-source store builder
WooCommerce is the last Shopify alternative we will look at, but definitely not the least. WooCommerce runs on WordPress that powers more than 35% of the web. So, it’s no wonder business owners who are used to WordPress turn to WooCommerce to build their online store.
WooCommerce is a flexible plugin that you can use to make just about any kind of website you desire, however, be advised that you’ll need a WooCommerce website developer who is knowledgeable enough to design and build the store for you.
With WordPress being SERP friendly and open-source you’ll get all those advantages when you choose WooCommerce as your website builder. You also get access to the thousands of WordPress plugins that you can add to your website in order to boost your site’s capabilities.
What features does WooCommerce provide?
- WordPress access allows you to build a website that is SERP friendly so that you get better domain authority.
- Unlimited Products Placements.
- Community Based Support whenever you run into any issues.
- Open source means you don’t pay for anything else apart from web hosting.
- WordPress plugins allow you to extend your site’s functionality.
For a more over see woocommerce vs shopify comparison here.
Price: Free/ Open Source (But you pay for domain name + web hosting with a third party)
shopify competitors: In Conclusion
At the end of the day, the best Shopify Alternative is one that solves your unique business goals.
If you are a Big Business, BigCommerce or Square might be a better way to go.
If you just want to test the ecommerce waters without much complexity, Wix Ecommerce makes much sense for you.
Having said that, we highly recommend WooCommerce as the best Shopify alternative for business owners who want to grow their company and scale in a simple and predictable manner.
All you’ll need with WooCommerce is Web Hosting which you can get a Free Domain sometimes, and a WooCommerce Developer. The maintenance is easy as well as the number of WooCommerce professionals continues to grow.
So, what Shopify alternative will you use to build your next online store front?
Let us know in the comments below.